Saturday, September 12, 2015

Expect the Unexpected- Week 3

This was quite an interesting and tiresome week, and it amazes me when I remember that Monday was holiday! Tuesday and Wednesday we had a few classes outside, although rain sent us back to the gym once or twice. Then Thursday and Friday we were kicked out of the gym for an annual clothing sale that uses a portion of the earnings to fund-raise for the school. Needless to say our days felt much less routine than normal. Still, this week brought valuable learning experiences and stretched me to think in new ways about the roles of the students and myself.



It’s interesting, but not surprising, how this break in routine also affected the students. Because they don’t normally go outside for PE, it seemed as if the students felt more like it was time for recess than for class. There were distractions everywhere: other kids on the playground, people in and out of the gym, etc. I love the outdoors and was excited to have class outside. However, I learned very quickly there are several new factors that have to be taken into account to run a successful outdoor class. The noise level can be substantially high when students are out for recess, so choosing a location away from the playground is key. Addressing the students beforehand to remind them this is still class time and all indoor expectations are still in place or perhaps even a little higher because of the many distractions. I hope to continue using the outdoor space but will be addressing the students about their responsibility as learners in both environments.

Tennis Scripture Printable: There also was a lot of learning on my end about the little nuances that make a classroom run smoothly this week. One area I realized I needed to improve on was stating expectations at the start of every class and listing what the sequence of activities will be for the day/lesson. I found that telling the students right off the bat what they will be involved while they are with me, helps transitional periods immensely throughout the lesson! (IPTS 4J) This way very little, if anything, comes as a surprise, and the students are mentally prepared to have to make moves from certain games to instruction, etc. I think at it root this week has been a humbling process for me. It’s not about how well my lesson goes or seeing the success of something I’ve labored to put together. Rather, I’m starting to live in the consciousness that teaching is not about me. It’s about serving the youth that comes through those school doors with a sacrificial love so that they can grow holistically and know without a doubt they matter.

I am continually learning how to adjust my teaching practices to accommodate the various age groups that enter my gym. Whenever a fifth grade class is coming up next I’ve started doing a quick happy dance in my head. I find it humorous that I enjoy them so much, considering they were the one grade that Mr. Park sort of struck some healthy fear into me about. After overcoming my initial hesitancy towards them I think come about an interesting self-discovery! It turns out that my personality and teaching style fits best with this age group because I can use a management style that I am totally enthusiastic about. (IPTS 1F) This is one in which the students take ownership of their learning and share in responsibility of what is accomplished during the class period. As they do so, I slowly become more of a facilitator of their learning; a joyous process to watch. I can address this group in a very real and honest manner, using scripting such as: “this is your class. I want you succeed and enjoy yourselves but to get to this goal I need your cooperation by allowing me time to speak”. After using this type of reasoning I had almost all the 5th graders undivided attention after. Such statements let them know, I understand their wants and desire shared respect among us. Of course when first grade walks through the door right after, such scripting does not have nearly the effective results. Each level of learners is motivated by different things and responds differently! Go figure, a five and nine year old aren’t always after the same thing. (IPTS 2A) 

Goals for next week:
1.)  Embody an enthusiastic cheerleader-type disposition to my camouflaged students.
2.)    Put consistently into practice areas noted in my reflections I’d like to improve on (i.e. stating expectations at beginning of each class, forecasting the day’s activities, etc.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment