Saturday, September 12, 2015

Classroom Confidential Ch. 3

This chapter was the perfect read for me this week. The honeymoon phase is definitely over for this teacher as I daily struggle to bring my perfectly written lesson plans to life while a host of hurdles are thrown in my way. As I looked back on my reflections for the week, I realized nearly every single one of them contained something regarding behaviors. Whether it be overall classroom control or individual students who seem to want to derail my patience and sanity, I have found real teaching begins more in the realm of understanding student behavior than understanding content.

As I opened Classroom Confidential to chapter three and began to read on how all of behavior is motivated by seeking pleasure or avoiding pain, my honest first reaction was ‘wonderful, a bunch of information, detached from real life experience, on the psychology of why students in general are the way they are’. Thankfully I kept reading. As I moved on in the reading, I began thinking back to my own experience as a student. I started identifying my student-self in the different examples provided. Specifically in the realm of self-accommodations, I recalled how I often drew in class to focus. I have always been highly visual and kinesthetic in the way I learn. Literally, panic still comes over me when I am given a set of verbal instructions, praying that somehow I’ll remember and decipher what’s being required of me. Schmidt continues to explain the roles students camouflage themselves with to try to hide in abilities to make it through an unpleasant process. Reading about such ploys as the class clown, frequent flyer, and charmer, I started identifying them with my own students. Perhaps the greatest way this chapter influenced me, however, was by reminding me: it’s not the students; it’s you. No student comes into school thinking ‘I can’t wait to figure out all the ways I can totally screw up and fail today’. The factors that contribute to this appearance can be caused by anything from a past trauma to poor support at home. Every day I need to choose to find the kink in their armor, slowly building trust with humor, encouragement, and genuine care.

I think chapter made me think back to one student in particular. Philip always seems to be doing the wrong things at the wrong times and has been completely disruptive throughout each of the classes I’ve had with him. Without even formally realizing I was doing it, I began to us the cheerleader strategy to get through this boy’s defenses last week. He was clearly caught off guard by my persistent encouragement and praise. This week, although caught off task many times, Philip seemed to be a very different student around me. It’s as if that initial interaction, let him know I am on his side. When I ask him to do things now, he responds in what I can only imagine as trust. Schmidt makes a point about extraordinary teaching having a three part formula- “order, challenge, and support”. I couldn’t agree more and have now experience firsthand what industrial strength support can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment