Sunday, August 30, 2015

Classroom Confidential Chapter 1

Although I was not able to read chapter 1 due to a text mix up, I will comment on the concept of multiple intelligences, how I hope to use in them in my teaching, and why. I believe that PE class is one of the most natural places that multiple intelligences can be used because of its dynamic use of spatial, bodily, rhythmic, and linguistic mediums on the day to day basis! Although learning obviously caters to the kinesthetic domain in the physical activity environment, it is easy to emphasize activities in such a way that those who think more analytically or numerically can create meaningful connections as well. Whether its using lists and counting to break down movements or drawing out how a play should be made, there are endless opportunities in the gym to engage all sorts of learners. Sometimes the hardest task is getting the students to believe gym class is more than just performing a skill or winning a game! I hope to use as many intelligences in my classroom as possible because its opens up a gateway to higher levels of thinking and original ideas as the students start to find themes they can build upon or manipulate.

I've always been a huge supporter of the "why are we doing this" question. I love the challenge! Its important to me that students are not engaging passively in something just because "my teacher said so". Its my desire that the know how the lessons can affect them and be beneficial to them if they choose to use it their learning in the outside world. Once you are able to get students in this mode of critical thinking, I feel I have done my job to help them become independent. I cringe thinking of the children who grow up in homes where questioning is not allowed and become overly compliant, blindly following any authority's command. I want my students to be protected from that and get those brains started on the train of autonomous thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment